Job Summary: At the direction and control of the Director of Quality, the Unit Clerk will coordinate care for patients.
Reports to: Director of Quality
Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: Prior experience preferred
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate effectively and tactfully with all patients and visitors
- Respond to patients and patient families in a courteous manner both on the phone and in person
- Relay timely telephone/visitor messages, taking accurate information
- Proficient in the use of computer and all office machines
- Ensures accurate completion of all clinical and financial forms related to patient visits
- Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation on referrals to promote team awareness and ensure patient safety. Tracking will be completed within EMR system.
- Ensure complete and accurate registration, including patient demographic and current insurance information.
- Assemble information concerning patient’s clinical background and referral needs. Per referral guidelines, provide appropriate clinic information to specialist.
- Contact review organizations and insurance companies to ensure prior approval requirements are met. Present necessary medical information such as history, diagnosis and prognosis. Provide specific medical information to financial services to maximize reimbursement.
- Review details and expectations about the referral with patients.
- Assist patients in problem solving potential issues related to the health care system, financial or social barriers (e.g., request interpreters as appropriate, transportation services or prescription assistance).
- Be the system navigator and point of contact for patients and families, with patients and families having direct access for asking questions and raising concerns. May assume advocate role on the patient’s behalf with the carrier to ensure approval of the necessary supplies/services for the patient in a timely fashion.
- Identify and utilize cultural and community resources. Establish and maintain relationships with identified service providers.
- Ensure that referrals are addressed in a timely manner.
- Remind patients of scheduled appointments via mail or phone.
- Ensure that patient’s primary care chart is up to date with information on specialist consults, hospitalizations, ER visits and community organization related to their health.
- Provide patients with maps and detailed directions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.