Job Summary: At the direction and control of the Director of Revenue Cycle, the coder is responsible for reviewing and analyzing documentation present in the medical record for outpatient and/or professional services to assign diagnoses/procedure codes as described by the physician(s) of record. Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines. Also assists with billing for the Physician office.
Reports to: Director of Revenue Cycle
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent experience.
Certifications: Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Association (CCA), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), or completed within 6 months of employment.
Other: Working knowledge and high level of experience with the ICD-10-CM and/or CPT/HCPCS coding classification systems, MS-DRG’s, APC’s, MPFS/RVU’s, POA’s, and HAC’s; dependent upon whether an IP, OP, or Professional Services Coder
Experience: Prior coding experience in ICD-10 CM diagnoses/ procedure coding and HCPCS/CPT procedure coding in the acute care inpatient/ outpatient hospital or professional services setting. Three (3) years experience preferred
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurate and timely coding of all procedures and conditions of patient accounts
- Abstracting data from all records
- Assign principle diagnosis and procedure
- Assigns secondary diagnosis and procedure
- Codes Professional Services accounts
- Consequences of error in should be minimal
- Actively participate in all special events
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May be required to work evenings, nights, and/or weekends on a regular or as needed basis.